Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is this really a FAILURE ?

September 10, 2008.

An eye-opener of a date in my life ! A sad day too... with my best friend casually tossing me into the "Jobless" category ..and my husband proving it by actually clearing my education loan with his money . Hmm .... I know its not a good example to say "His" and "my" money in a marriage ... (everything was decided to be "OURS" )... but am not just able to digest the fact that I have no money on my own .

Eight years ago , I was this super-confident girl strutting towards a famous engineering college in Vizag , with dreams of achieving an identity for herself in this big , bad world .... despite being already engaged to get married . Nothing has ever actually stopped me from dreaming of achieving something big . When Dad offered to pay the tuition fees for my B.Tech , the-then Vijaya Shanthi was so confident of her success in her career that she opted for an education loan instead , which she was utterly confident of repaying it as soon as she graduated with flying colors.

Eight years later , Vijaya shanthi is long-lost ! Its ShanthiPrasadh which is known more to the world , thanks to Orkut .Ironically , when the "vijaya" is taken away from my name .... so did the sweet victory I thought to sought after as a student .

Right now , my life is what every girl dreams of . No kidding ! A loving husband , two cute sons and a good fortune . What else would a woman want ? Atleast , thats what mom taught me !! Hmm ...what's been missing is my identity . I am living my life as a wife , a mom , a friend and a daughter , and of course , as a sister too. But , as i question myself today ..( after I failed in repaying my education loan ) I realise that my identity in the whole race of womanhood is practically lost .

Personally speaking , I've always put myself way below everything else in my life . First being my family , and then my friends. Close friends of mine (which are a real few ) know how low self-esteem I really have. I might call it a lack of ego . But I've always maintained the statement that "Life is too short for all this bull-shit !! "( sorry for the lingo...couldnt help it ) .

As I self-analyse my present life , I realise that it's just divided into chunks of time , each for the various men of my life (my husband , my kids, my brother and my friends ) Everyone has been especially sweet to me in their own way , trying to make me just feel better , despite me not being able to actually start a career of my own.

I have always thought that am doing the world's greatest job , being a mom ! Friends of mine have always wowed on my ability to be in touch with them , despite having a crazy schedule with two naughty sons in tow. It was just a gesture from my end to the rest of the world . Or more so , it was one way to maintain my sanity too ...with a gruelling day in and day out with my darling kiddos . In the recent past , after I started writing this blog , I realised that I was indeed doing a wonderful job and have been complaining lesser about my non-existent career. But today has been a low key phase yet again in my life , reminding me of my otherwise life , sans marriage or kids .

Well , it might sounds cliched... .but if I would like life to rewind , I would ask the same life yet again . No complaints to that ! So , why am I actually writing this heavy and gloomy post ? To remind a friend to think if he thought his mom was "jobless" too , while raising him !! The male ego should understand that a female one also actually exists , it just doesn't seem as much as the male version ! And speaking of jobs , a 9-5 job is done by the evening , but a mom is still working until her kids are asleep late in the night . Now thats called a 24 X 7 job !!!

Maybe this "failure" will be a real stepping stone. Otherwise too , am not actually sitting idle... so no more complaints !!

Thanks readers , for putting up with my cloudy day ....
Will come up with a hilarious post pretty soon .

7 comments:

Vee said...

hi shanti,

hope u remember me. i'm vamsi. sri's friend in sfs palasa!
thats a great post from u!

Shanthiprasadh said...

hey vamsi , thanks for leaving a comment on my post ...
are u the same one whose elder sister is Harini ? do lemme know .

Uma said...

Shanthi...wat to say? about this post?.believe me am in tears reading this..seriously!!I know wat "Vijayashanthi" is and today i know "shanthiprasadh" too...may be thts the reason why i could really get your feelings.i completely understand wat you mean darling...never say vijaya/victory is taken out from your life...i hav already commented on your first post saying that you are always a winner..and no doubt about it!!..Job is not at all a measure for success..everyone has to appreciate for wat you are doing at this age..i know the way you are bringing up your kids.i always admire and adore you in each and every role i hav seen you.You have always justified your roles darling...as a daughter,as a wife and now as a mom..watelse u can ask for?..right things at right time..thtz life!!
ee roju neeku job cheyyali ani vunte..its just the matter of time..but the decision you hav taken today,staying at home and bringing up kids(for sometime) is a complete lifelong success for you ..believe my words, i know wat it means, as a kid of a working mom!!..and your blog itself proves tht you are a winner...i can really see "vijayshanthi" back again here:)..way to go babe..goodluck!!

Unknown said...

Hey dear ... dont u ever think this way ... as Uma rightly said u r already a winner - a proud mom and a devoting wife ... what else does anyone want ... job is not the end of life ... i feel that for every woman, being a good wife and a wonderful mom is the most challenging job ever, whether u r the CEO of a company or even the president of USA. And u have achieved that !!!!!! So what else u want baby ... job is a very small part of life ..
I am sure one day ur kids will be proud of what their mom is

Vee said...

yep, i am the same! its nice that u remember my sis. :)
how r ur kids doing?

Shanthiprasadh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.