Monday, March 29, 2010

Aimless afternoons

There are days, when the afternoons seem so aimless.

Well, for starters, my younger kid comes a little later than noon from his playschool, has his lunch, and slumbers off to his baby-nap, saying he's too tired. Yeah yeah, playschool is tiresome !! I am so jealous of the three-year old. Temptation beckons, thinking I could afford a quiet little nap beside my little one, but I refrain. Reason : There was one day, when my elder one, who usually comes at around 3'o clock... had to ring the doorbell for atleast 10 times, before I woke up from my deep slumber, aka a short nap.

Refraining an afternoon nap is the most difficult part in my daily routine. The afternoons are really aimless, when I have to spend a good one hour, wondering what to do, when my tired baby is off to sleep, and me waiting for another tired school-boy who comes home rattling off all his daily endeavours. And if you thought we could have a nap together, once the elder one is back too, then you are in for a soup. There's a bit of homework and lunch-part II... which slowly churns the time to tea-time !! And then, followed by his tennis. My younger one is the ball-collector. The first few days were great for the playschooler. But quickly, he realized that it wasn't much fun, collecting balls, while his elder brother was hogging all the attention of the little girls, with his classy shots. Atleast, the girl in me was impressed with his shots. And one fine day, the most dreadful statement of the year... "Mama, I don't like tennis. I will play cricket"..declared my younger one. And to think, it's just another couple of years for him to start off what he wants, makes me yearn even more for an afternoon nap.

There have been attempts. Not that I didn't try. To while time away, I even tried my hand at some hobby ideas, read Knitting, sewing,etc. Once I felt like an old aunt, I quickly put them back, unfinished, safely under my mattress. Time will come !!

But, not all days are so drab. There are some fruitful afternoons, when I happen to catch up with "Desperate house wives". The latest season is full of adultery, bold statements and catchy wit and humour. Oh, do I love them? Of course, a perfect excuse to say that am busy !! while am actually catching up with the trashiest series in the history of television. God forbid me, in becoming one of them, Desperate, I mean...

Aimless could also be translated as sluggish.
  • I attempt to finish off Jeffrey Archer's latest, only its more soporific.
  • I attempt to chat up with some of my old buddys, but everyone's sleeping, just on the other side of the globe, at the right time !!
  • I attempt to put more effort in making my afternoons more meaningful, only to make it more aimless.
  • I attempt to bake a cake or something, but Chennai heat isn't that welcoming during the afternoons.
  • I attempt to write a post on one of my three blogs, and guess what, I ended up writing this. LOL !!
God, please tell me am not alone.

Is God listening or is he taking a nap too ?

1 comment:

shanti said...

I know this is a serious temptation...hehe.. but I guess rt after the summer brk, Anuj will be gone almost for the whole day too !!They know how to keep u engaged during the summer brk... And after that, call me, I hv bunch of ideas for you...:P