Thursday, April 29, 2010

Forever Summer !

Clutching his favourite teddy, my younger one rubs his sleepy eyes and asks, “Where’s papa?”
With me taking a hint of caffeine and skimming through the daily Page 3 and astrology stuff, I look at him.Even before I answer that Papa's off to office... one look at him makes me grin. Clad in pajamas, waking up after 9am, and immediately settling down before the TV to catch up his daily dose of Mickey mouse, instead of the customary "brush, bath and tiffin-box and school "routine, I welcome summer with all my heart.

Yes, summer is here, and so are the holidays for the kids. My elder one is yet to join the wagon (with this week being his last in school) but that doesn’t stop me from getting those summery jitters, with equal portions of mixed feelings.

Moms love it, moms hate it.

Summer holidays are nevertheless, an unparalleled phase of every child, where he can be himself, not having to worry about homework, and school bus and sleeping before 9pm.

It’s ironical that holidays for moms and kids are mutually exclusive. When they are happily enjoying their leave from school, it’s me who faces even more challenges in introducing more activities in their daily routine, while catering to their daily food cravings too. With Chennai being the heat capital of India, the constant downpour of lemonades and Rasnas are unstoppable. There’s also a little bit of junk food creeping slowly into the refrigerator. Fruits are looked down, and jello-s are the flavor of the season. The kids room is sprawled with crayons, and puzzles and glue-sticks, with half-finished ambitious craft works. Computer games, board games and video games. Games are really the in-thing !! Another challenge is to not let the kids go overboard with TV. Whoa !! that’s quite a task.. every present mom would agree in unison that TV is the best way to keep the kids quiet for a little bit of time, while you do a bit of my-time. But then, this gets easy when they go to school, and a routine is set. But, summer holidays aren’t as rosy as they seem. Even for the little ones !! After a little while, boredom ensues and the prospect of getting back to school routine is spelt as “heaven” to both.

As for me, we are lucky to have a swimming pool in our condominium apartments. No commuting, no time hassles. Just a dip in the cool water would melt away a couple of hours so easily, that everyone of us look forward to the evening. While the little ones are shouting for more fun, the moms also form a little “Water-wives club” right inside the pool !!! Gossip rules it all, and all the moms do enjoy this bit of time without any feeling of guilt that you are not attending the kids. Of course, after a bit of struggle to literally drag the wailing kids ( who wouldn’t want to come out of the pool at any time), snacks ensue and then everyone runs off to the playground. By dinner time, kids are so drained out that they are out like a light even before 9pm. And to think, the 9pm sleep is quite a high target when they are going to school. And during holidays, when timings don't matter that much,... they sleep off even before the scheduled time. So much for discipline and time schedules !!!

Another big joke which is ruling the summer is the sleeping arrangement. As an agreement, when the kids were shifted to their own bedroom, they agreed to sleep all on their own only on weekdays ( meaning no school and no tennis for my elder one). Weekends are on us. This was going on quite well, until the holidays spat an ugly truth on us. They have completely shifted to our bedroom, with my younger one reasoning that “No school, no tennis ..so we sleep with you”. We wait until they hit the sack, and are sound asleep… and slowly shift ourselves to the kids bedroom. Every single day, we thank God for not buying a bunk bed for them yet… otherwise I should be finding my hubby on top of me !! I meant the bed :P

Of course, despite all this... one look at their holiday enjoyment, makes me nostalgic of my own summer vacation when life was simply the best, with mom making all the snacks and sweets beforehand, while we spend the summer dashing from our neighbour's house to our's, playing cricket with the local boys, and of course, watching our daily dose of "Mickey and Donald". Life wasn't much luxurious as compared to my kids' swimming or tennis or all these activities. But neverthless, we always wished summer was here forever. I wish the same now... until their schools start !

(PS : Now, could God make that QUICK!)

14 comments:

CriSha said...

Summer holidays... i am already nostalgic from few days to go to granny place... now u have hit it hard with holidays.. i use to wait for summer holidays, grandpa would know the exact end date of our school he would be present by the time we came from school and we use to take off to village for 2+ months n climbing trees, ponds and all games... man i Miss summer holidays.....beautiful blog dear

Manjusha said...

wow! your post makes me nostalgic.. we should have summer holidays at work too :((

paradoxrox said...

I don't know if you remember, but I always wanted a bunk bed when I was a kid. Just the idea of climbing a ladder to go to bed seemed so cool to me. Mannn, I'm so getting one when I get married. That way my wife and I can sing love songs in Telugu, Hindi, Alien and whatever languages we speak , while playing hide and seek. She's gonna pretend like she doesn't know where I am throughout the song and when she hits the highest squeaky note, I slide down in rhythm to the bottom bed and "surprise" her. Then the cameraman pulls slowly out of the bedroom, the door shuts and a poster with my picture on it says "adannamata sangati"......Wow you just gave me a wonderful idea for a Tollywood musical...bunkubeddu romance....

Water-wives club...hahaha....If it weren't for the swimming pool, I would have thought you were referring to their bodies...haha...sorry, that sounded kinda rude....but still...hahaha....it's hilarious...I'm really curious as to what they talk about....This could be a great idea for a sitcom...

WATER-WIVES CLUB
and the 40 sweaty husbands in lungis.

That's the title of the sitcom.

Kinda like a Chennai version of Alibaba and the forty thieves.

Speaking of summer holidays, I remember how I used to play obsessively out in the hot summer sun and mom would yell at me for looking like a crow at the end of the day...Crow? I mean, really? Why not a cobra? Or a black panther?...or a bandicoot?...I mean why should other black animals be discriminated from being compared to me? Unacceptable!... Anyawy, sometimes we would have our aunts and cousins over and I would always get home from my tan marathon just 10 minutes before everyone was ready to leave for a "first show" (which is like the second last show of the day)... The multi-taskanator in mom would drag me into the bathroom, give me a quick shower, put some colorful chokka and chaddi on, smear some talcum powder on my face (with which my sweat would unite and make me look like an Indian zombie with no dress sense)....all in a matter of 10 minutes...and off we went to melody or jagadamba in an auto that was like a mobile sauna...all the ladies with their "summer-appropriate" costumes would sit in the back seat sweating their lives out, while the kids sat on their laps or on the baby seat (which was essentially a wooden plank the size of my underwear), if there was one. If there wasn't enough room, which was pretty much the case every time, two chosen kids flanked the auto driver on both sides, as he played Chiranjeevi's music and shoved his steering handle into the kids'guts......

Chiranjeevi's songs reminds me...I truly believed he sang all his songs until he sang that one horrendously horriblest song in the movie Master after which I thanked God everyday (I still do) that he didn't actually sing all his songs...

Taruvayi bhagam vache varam. ;)

~~Special Thanks to Shanti garu for opening a treasure of memories for us readers~~

Shanthiprasadh said...

@variant : I know sirisha...how nostalgic one gets bout summer vacation. And during our times, it was even more enjoyable even with little pleasures of life :)...and thanks for liking this post :)

Shanthiprasadh said...

@manjusha : hehe... i know.. I wish I had summer holidays too..but as I said in the post...it's mutually exclusive and either the mom or the kids get to enjoy them... not simultaneously.. btw, how's ur work coming along ?

Shanthiprasadh said...

@paradoxrox :
Statuatory warning : If you want to comment on my page.. u better do it smaller than my post. And also, don't write better than me... I know you are capable of underplaying also...so I expect a 10times-lower drafted version of your actual comment...so that people won't laugh more on ur comment than the post... The green monster uvacha :D
Oh btw, yeah..i remember Mom's multi-tasking (she still does!!) ...but now I totally get what she used to mean when she used to lament "Sundays asalu rest undadu..." and " Naluguru manshulu...okkare pani..chastunna" type comments :D ....
Totally totally get it mom !!! This post is ankitham to u :)

Shanthiprasadh said...

@paradox :
Part II :
That water-wives club and 40 lungi husbands was soooo hilarious , I was actually imagining it to be a great sitcom, albeit "Desperate housewives"..lol

And the Mobile-sauna episode is one thing which rocked me out of my chair, literally !! I wonder why everyone used to cram in one single auto, while they could have easily hailed another one. Economical thinking I guess... but little did they know that this kind of gesture would get them into history pages, which are now being turned upon some 2 decades later, as humor content.. :P...
Btw, I strongly suggest you to start blogging and let that funny streak of yours known to everyone. Entha laaga edigipoyaavo tamu !!
( I can literally visualise mom saying "kuppi, neeku nene ABCD lu nerpinchanu... ippudu naake ardham kaani letters rasthunnav" ani) hehehehehehe.

paradoxrox said...

Hahaha....Green monster uvacha? I kinda wanna go back to our childhood when mom used to play vishnu sahasra namam everyday, hit the record button and add different kinds of uvachas at the end...

Green monster uvachaaaa...(sing it out loud in MS Subbalakshmi's voice)....haha...Auto Driver Uvachaaaa....Water-Wives Uvachaaaaa....How funny would that be? Mom would hear that at the end of the cassette and go WTH?!!

Anyway, I'll take your suggestion and start bloggin my responses as a blog on your blogs....Tambi's guide to the D(M)ummies guide to Motherhood!! Vaakey?

shanti said...

OMG....Whats goin on here???? Nakippude teliyali...lol,,,,,
Shanthi....the blog sure recalls everyones childhood memories and how quickly the history repeated with the very own kids...sigh... and Sri comments are seriously hilarious.... esp our Moms multitasking skills, auto episodes, the wonderful dress sense on and on....lol....I REALLY enjoyed reading the comments than the actual blog...ooops, sorry..heheh

Shanthiprasadh said...

@shanti : huh.... anduke anduke annanu.... the comments be worse than the original post. Naa maata vinte kada !!!! :P

Shanthiprasadh said...

@paradoxrox :

Continuing the vishnu sahasranamam episode.... mom would not find it hilarious but horrendous to find Auto-drivers uvacha too :P

Anyway, maatalu kadu ra..chetalu kooda undali.. bout ur blog .... Looking forward to the Tambi's guide :D

CriSha said...

charan words chusi... navaleka sachanu... baboi ulti vundhi.... seriously auto episode ayithe ala flash back... n yes eppudu kaki ne vere animal eppudu analedhu...really good job sri...

Uma said...

Goshhh!!!.lots happening here and how did miss this post all these days...may be the summer is hitting late here:)...or ,is it my baby hitting on my head all day....khi khi khi:)....
as always njoyed the post ra ..nostalgic!!and i almost fell off the chair Sri comments ki...Auto-driver,water wives,40's lungis LOL!!!!!...i can totally visualize the scenarios...esp the auto one nd aunty's multitasking ..
Looking forward for your blog sri.....and am sure it will be like a gud relief for all those D(M)ummies like me to read your hilarious posts..it would be Fun!!!!....'Forever Summer' Uvacha :P

padmum said...

In Chennai you don't have to wish for summer to be here forever....IT IS--Hot Hotter Hottest--take your pick.

Ya...my days (sounding like all older people) were great---we had places to go, things to see, trees to climb and place to play hopscotch and marbles and gilli thaandi...skip rope, play seven stones. Now the beach is the only recreation for my grandkids. Sigh!!