Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nutrition in Pregnancy

Pregnancy involves a lot of do's and dont's ....the first and foremost being healthy nutrition for the mother ...bcoz thats the most important way to ensure a healthy baby.
I recommend the following links for a more expertise advice on nutrition in pregnancy...coz am a no-doctor !!
Firstly, how to overcome hunger and eat right during pregnancy. Well...this sure is a tough phase where u crave for all the wrong things...but yes, u cant help it...not even a nutritionist who is a know-all . Dont believe?? Read along ....

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/nutrition/pregnant-and-hungry/


The second link am posting is the Do's and dont's of foods among pregger ladies . The foods we think are safe ..but arent actually ...and the various myths related ....Everything is listed down here....go ahead and enlighten yourself..you will be in for a surprise .

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/nutrition/a-food-guide-for-pregnant-women/

And i need to include the most important tips during pregnancy . This is a must-follow regiment...all u moms-to-be.

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/pampering/healthy-pregnancy-tips/


Whats a post without my story ?? hehe....So , just read along to know my personal experience during my pregnancies .

If you have read my "Pregnancy" post...you will know that i conceieved my elder one while i was in college . Though it was a planned one...and though i said i didnt panic even for one moment...i was always confused about what to eat and what not to. The first trimester was a dream .No nausea, no vomitings...in fact , i had to leave my front door at 8.30 am daily to attend college....and not once, i had felt nauseous or sick . I had a very active lifestyle and wasn't showing up much . My friends were just fascinated with the news but my mom was a bit worried about my nutrition coz of my odd hours during the college .I had a wonderful doctor seeing me every month and things were going smoothly until the second trimester.I had no special cravings, no weird mood-swings...no sweet tooth too. I had gained a decent 10 kgs by the end of the second trimester and i was getting a feeling of exhilaration that i didnt change a bit despite my pregnancy and was betting that i would go back to my college jeans soon after my delivery.Hmmm...Life's not that easy ,after all. Since i had taken leave for my last semester from college....all i had to do at home was to eat properly (my mom was already panicking about me not showing as expected) and watch TV . That was it !!....The next visit to my doctor shook everyone up ....coz i had gained an abnormal weight of 5 kgs within 2 weeks. And there was no stopping to that . By Feb 29th....the day teju was born...i was 85kgs (gaining 28 kgs altogether...mind boggling ...isnt it ??) Tej was born a healthy baby weighing almost 4kgs....but the rest of the weight had to be dealt by me . And trust me , it wasnt easy for me to shed all of that . It took almost 18 months for me to come back to normalcy .

But as i said ,...life's not that easy !! One moment , i find myself slowly fitting into my old clothes and the next moment i find myself preggers the second time . Whooooa !!!
This time , since we were expecting a girl ....everything seemed different from the first time . I had severe nausea , couldnt eat anything and found everything revolting...even my husband .Poor him !! ....I couldnt manage anything on my own, leave alone little Teju who was just about 18 mths old . My mommy dearest , as usual , came to my rescue .But this time, i put my foot down and didnt relent on her food regime . I gained a respectable 7kgs the first 5 months ....but little did i know what was in store for me in the coming months. The last trimester was an altogether a different one . Me being a vegetarian , i had this sudden craving for sea-food .Do u believe that ??? well, neither did my staunch orthodox brahmin parents !!
Luckily , there was this awesome restaurant in my hometown which served fresh non-veggie food. The moment i found this place , it was a haven for all my food cravings . And needless to say, I gained another 12 kgs....altogether putting me again in the 80kgs league . My second son was born a healthy child too..weighing 3.5 kgs...leaving the rest to me .

However ..this is just my story....and i know its not at all inspirational... i wouldnt want anyone to think highly of my abnormal weight gain too....bcoz only i knew how i struggled to get back to my normal weight range . However , i think if i had followed the links which i posted above..my struggle would have been easier fought . Anyway,, all the best ..u future moms. Dont do what i did !!!

No comments: