Friday, August 7, 2009

The chronicles of Schoolnia...

And so, the little warriors of my house, who used to be a little less than bringing the entire house down with their antics, are now ready to face the world. Already? Their schools started, and so I thought.

The first day, as you read earlier, has been less eventful than we anticipated. Everyone were satisfied, and the routine of me waking up at the wee hours of 6am(every single day, without fail).. only made me sleepless for a little while, until I got adjusted to the routine. Trust me, I never woke up as early as I do now even when I was preparing to be an engineer!! Aaah... those were the days... Despite me knowing that I had to catch the college bus by 7.30 am, I couldn't drag myself out of my nest before 7'O clock. Now I know how was this possible, with mom waking up atleast an hour before me, and toiling herself in the kitchen for my lunch-dabba, while I used to have early morning dreams about my Prince Caspian !!!

Yes, History repeats... and it did very early in my case. While the rest of the girls are still honeymooning or contemplating about their first kid, I have two major trouble-makers tugging along me the entire day, and with piles of worksheets (already for the kg standard !!).No complaints to that... but, look who's complaining? It's my mom who says that am not making my presence to their house ( despite me being in India)...but my stand on this?? "The kids need to attend schools, Ma... their holidays are mine now"... And my mom sulks. History as I said repeated, with she getting nostalgic about her mommy who used to have the same complaint. Full Circle !!!

So, how are the little princes coping up with this huge change? Pretty well. Touchwood. Especially, I am really glad I came back at the right time ( to India)...their teachers say that they are in the most flexible age, and when I visited their school and happened to sneak in their assembly.... I was really proud of my decision to give them a proper Indian education when they were crooning loudly to "Jana gana mana" !! An awesome patriotic feel, which cannot be bought abroad. :D... No offense to all the NRI's... You are an Indian wherever you are. ;)

My older one is the class leader...Did I mention that? Am I proud? Am more surprised actually. But, he seems to be a very different being when he goes to school. And since he has a better knowledge on phonics( this I should rightly attribute to his American schooling).. he's given the responsibility of distributing books to his classmates and since he's the tallest, he takes care of the blackboard. Nice !! But, I was still anxious if he's making any friends yet. And so he did. A certain Subbalakshmi.... I split into peels of laughter. Not only the name sounded very much like the 50's, but also a telugu girl in the land of Odisha !! Hmmm..Tej seems lucky.

And the younger one? He's having a ball with his Mona Darling aka Mona miss. He was obviously smitten with the delicate looks of his nursery teacher, but little did he know that his dreams shattered when she tied him a Rakhi. I was saved that day bcoz he didnt know the meaning of rakhi. He thought it was a gift from his mona darling, and refused to remove the "love band" (according to him) even the next day. Talk about puppy love !!! heheheh

And so, amidst those weekly worksheets and monthly mandatory Parent-Teacher meetings and with the daily routine of my 6 hourly sleep... all I long is for the weekend, where the kids have a bit more of the usual TV dosage and me tucking for a bit longer in my nest. This time, the dreams aren't about any prince Caspian. After 3 of them in my life now, I realize that these chronicles are never-ending. :) Ciao for now. Morrow's the weekend. I gotta REST !!!!!

4 comments:

lafemmereva said...

e!!! chronicles of schoolnia was a very good title for the post!!!

U woke up at 7 to come to asil,etta bus stop? U didnt brush ur teeth!! shae!!

wait till I tell tej and anuj abt it!!

shanti said...

Well Yeah, I like the title and the way you put it. And can truly understand your pains to wake up in the morng, which was an impossible task for us. But since you guys moved from USA, i dont like the way u comment on the education. Just attending a preschool here made him a class-leader, shows u what great foundation the kids get here. And also i guess most of the Indians send their kids to the Indian
schools here, where they literally sing the Vandemataram, or Janaganamana. Just trying to stress on the fact that, we are not missing any Indian thing here and i am sure lot of us too. Nothing hard on this sweeetie !! :) :) And the point that history repeats...hehe truly true for everyone :)

Shanthiprasadh said...

@lafemmereva : hehe..yeah..i'll let u tell my kiddos all bout those teenage days of mine :P

Shanthiprasadh said...

@shanti : akkka...when did I ever speak anything bout american education? I said..am glad we came back TO INDIA...I didnt say FROM AMERICA !! There;s a lot of diff between them. Since both my kids are at such an age where they wouldn't know the diff btw the two countries...am glad we made it back on time...any couple of yrs more in the US would have been a difficult move for us...coz the kids would have already liked it there... :) that's just what i meant...