Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Revisiting the blues !

Knock Knock !
Who's there?
Its Blue ....
Blue Who ??
The Post-partum blue....
Not again !!


Raising a child can involve a lot of do's and dont's... it involves a lot of myths and confusions in the minds of first-time moms. When I became a mom for the first time, some four years ago, my mind wasn't just confused but was also racing ! I was actually petrified with the overwhelming amount of time a baby's attention demands. I just couldn't adjust to the new phase of my life very quickly. As you could read in one of my early posts Post partum blues I was very much jaded with the entire thing of motherhood, in the early month of my child-birth.

With passing time and my sons growing at an amazing pace...right now, I find life less gloomier than when I actually experienced the post-partum blues. But that doesn't mean that life is all rosier !! The blues keep visiting me yet again and remind me of their existence.

Maybe, I should put the blame on the "Terrible Twos" stage, a name very apt for kids who turned two. Who would better know this than the mommies with toddlers at home ?? Kids at this age are at their crankiest best(or should i say, worst? ) Whatever it is, it's the moms who have to endure it. Am not too sure about the other toddlers, but these days, my younger son is a real prankster and makes sure he is heard too! His firm "NO" for almost everything just drives me crazy. All the endless hours of play and fun will be just melted with one tantrum, and I feel really helpless when tears are rolling down his little cheeks for no absolute reason. Maybe, this is the phase when they actually can't communicate properly, with their language confined to only single syllable words. It must be the exasperation to vent their feelings, that it just turns out to be those salty tears.

Last week, when my younger one was in one of his worst moods, so was mine(owing to Mother nature). It was a gloomy day, when he wasn't just eating right, and constantly crying without reason. Finally in the evening, I decided to treat myself to a quiet time in the library, and dropped off my hubby and kids at the fitness centre. Then, I bumped into a buddy at a coffee-shop. Was I glad to find him ? U bet! I couldn't help but break down before my friend about my "extremely-low" day, with my cranky toddler. I even admitted that I wished I was single, and was complaining about how the other girls of my age are still contemplating on marriage, while my life is completely revolved around diapers, medicines, and toys ! The only soothing effect I got from my buddy "The grass is always greener on the other side!" How true indeed !! That was the moment I realized that my older one had also passed this terrible stage of a cranky toddlerhood, who is now a very quiet pre-schooler. In fact, I realized I made a terrible mistake, trying to think of running away from the responsibility of being a mom. Isn't it true that God made mothers, because he couldn't be everywhere at all times? Well, i believe that! Atleast, when I see these helpless, little bundles of joy.

My mom used to advice me that motherhood is the toughest phase and also the sweetest one too. A woman should be entirely ready to be a mom, otherwise it's the children who have to suffer ( And to think, moms think they are suffering !!)

Life's lows can be melted down definitely, but running away is definitely not the solution. Now, I smile to myself with the thought, "When the rest of the girls of my age are busy changing diapers, I will be FREE !!" hehehe...

Bye bye blue !!

No comments: